Journals

12:35 AM


I don't scrapbook. But I do journal. The photos of my family go into photo albums. So to house all the little documents, cards, etc., I make journals.
We kind of had a long journey to have our first child, and through the process we had a little journal where we'd write our future baby notes. Then he was born and we kept it up, and write him letters as his journal/ memory book.
It has become such a treasure for us, and I hope once our son grows up he'll treasure it too. Of course my husband and I are the main contributors, but grandparents and cousins have written notes too. This is one of my favorites from our nephew who is 7.

As he gets older, it's a great place to hurry and jot down funny things he says, does. I keep it by my bed, and so lots of times I have to write stuff down on scraps, then just tape it in. I like keeping track of things this way, because it's casual and a funny story written on the back of a receipt won't ruin a cute scrapbook page. I just don't have time to make the pages all cute. It's all I can do to make the memories, and try my hardest to document them in a sloppy, casual, hand written form. I guess my focus is on the content rather than the appearance beyond the cover.

Photobucket

Obviously, to write to your kids in letter form to document their childhood, you could just buy a journal, or use a typical notebook, but I like the personalization of adding photos. Also, I'm on my second volume with my first child, so the photos throughout all his journals as he grows up will chronologically show him growing up, that will be cool when he's older I think.
So the project isn't that original or great, but here it is. It is super easy.
SUPPLIES:
-Composition notebook (you can find them on sale for 3/$1 around back to school time)
-scrapbook paper, photos, paint, postcards, magazine clippings, etc.
-glue
-Mod Podge usually between $3-6 with different finishes, I have satin.
-sponge brush
-masking tape
-large envelope* optional for inside back cover

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut out the paper to cover the front and back cover. Leave about 1/2 " extra along the edges to wrap around the page.

2. Spread glue evenly on notebook cover, glue paper down. Open notebook and fold paper over edges tightly. Secure on the inside cover with masking tape.

3. Repeat on back cover.

4. Cut another piece of paper for the inside front cover. Measure so it will cover all the masking tape. Glue inside cover in place.

5. For the back inside cover, I taped in an envelope, so it can hold cards, drawings, etc memorabilia.

6. Glue photos and or embellishments on front and back covers.

7. Seal outside covers with the mod podge. I did two coats, painting it one in even, thin layers. It is the consistency of glue, so it will streak on your photos with the white opaque layer, but don't worry it dries clear. Allow to dry 15-20 min and apply another coat.
The mod podge creates a durable, clear seal for your photos, and makes an inexpensive, personalized journal. I had everything on hand, so this project cost less than a dollar. You can get really creative with actual art, ink, collages, mixed media, etc.
My little sister made me a journal for my birthday and had hot glued puzzle pieces all over randomly, but two were linked up in the middle. She painted everything the same color except the two pieces were different, and wrote my name on one piece, and my husband's name on the other connected piece. She'll also do full out artwork on her journals. I take the easy way with just paper and photos, and mod podge on top so it will last.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts