Thanks and A Mom Memory

12:28 AM

Just a quick post:

First, thanks for all the support I've received on the baby bedtime bag pattern
I really appreciate all those who have purchased it and hope to see some of your versions in the flickr group so I can check them out!

Next, I also enjoyed all the comments on RJ's sharpie t-shirt.
I'm glad I decided to document it really fast.
As I was reading your nice comments, it reminded me of something my mom did for me when I was little.
____________________________________________________
Here's my dad's all time favorite picture of my mom.
I was number three and not born yet, looking at this now makes me realize RJ kind of looks like my oldest brother.

STORY:
So I don't know how old I was, but pretty little.
I drew my family on a paper, and at that time humans to me were circles with arms and legs coming out of the head.
NOTE: I grew up with a "fun" mom.
She'd jump on the trampoline, build snow slides in the front yard, freeze us an ice skating rink over the garden in the winter, and even check us out of school to go see girly movies like Swan Princess and Little Women.
So anyway, this occasion she was impressed with my drawing of our family and decided to put it on a sweatshirt.
Which made me think I was amazing.
baby Jess around age 2
I remember she was using black puff paint (late 80s) on a peach Hanes generic sweatshirt.
The sweatshirt was laying flat on a couch that had brown, blue, grayish huge flower things on it.
Hideous couch looking back.  It was the kind of print as a kid I'd stare at and see all sorts of fish or monsters in what I assume were flowers.
Anyway, my memory is standing by her watching her study my drawing, then puff paint the heads with limbs on the sweatshirt for an exact replica in my mind.

I assume it made a lasting memory so young because I was obviously so proud at how clearly awesome I was.
My mom apparently LOVED my drawing of our family so much she was painting it on a sweatshirt!
For her it was mainly a work shirt, but I do remember her wearing it once in a while and again just thinking how great I was.
I was great, and my art was great.
I don't know what happened to that peach sweatshirt, but I wished I'd stolen it from her to have it now!

So pretty much I had an awesome mom and I wish I was more like her.
Hopefully remembering that piece of childhood will help me give my kids more opportunities to feel their creativity is....(and makes them) amazing!

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. That is the sweetest story, Jess! Makes me want to break out the puff paint! And I have to say that you look just like your mom - what a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stef, I kind of forget how similar we look. Growing up other than her eyes, I never really felt I looked that much like my mom!

      Delete
  2. I love that story. In the end, all that counts is how special we as parents make our kids feel...it doesn't take a lot of money or a lot of stuff, just a little effort to make sure they know how special they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and just wish I did it more than I do!

      Delete
  3. I thought that was a picture of you! Oh my goodness, how sweet is your mother? How wonderful to have so many fond memories of her to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom sounds awesome, what a sweet story! Thanks for sharing!! As I scrolled down to that photo, I totally thought it was you! What lovely mamas you both are =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet story and wow you look like your Mom. When I saw the little photo in the email from Bloglovin I had to click to your post to see if it was you dressing up or your Mom. Beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow are you and your beautiful mama clones or what?! Love that story- I had that kind of mom too. Hopefully it makes me a better mama for my littles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else too - lovely story, and you look JUST like your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mum is beautiful - you look so like her :)
    Wow - I want to be a mum like that too!!!! I'm guessing that you are more than you realise...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with everyone above - you look a LOT like your mom, who is beautiful! Love this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful story! I want to be a mother just like that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I really thought that was a picture of you just as many of the other readers did and your 2 yo picture looks so like Elle. Have you compared photos?? We had a mother like yours and she was even more fun to my children. Really miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should compare me and Ellie side by side, haven't done it in a while. So sorry to hear about your mom.

      Delete
  12. Awesome! I thought at first it was a picture of you. ;). Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it was just me who thought your Mom and you look exactly alike- but I read the above comments. It's true!! And your girls look like you too:)
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought that first picture was YOU, not your mom. WOW, incredible. Loved the story too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts