Buttonhole Sewing Tip

2:30 PM

Sewing a row or column of buttons can be a pain.
I always hate having to mark exactly where to sew them, and even then lots of times the beginning and ends aren't lined up.
So when sewing a bunch of buttonholes, like on this Jute Suit vest, I've started using masking tape.
The tape makes the start and stop markers, and then it's really easy to just draw a top and bottom buttonhole, then figure out the equidistant other buttonholes in between.

I figured it out trying to plot where buttons should go on this dress and it was a pain.
The masking tape saved a lot of measuring time and chalk.
For the curve, I just put pieces of tape along the edge to mark the 5/8" width of the tape as the border from the hem.
Then it made it easier to tape another curve the width I needed of the finished buttonhole and just mark the end buttons, the center, then the last 2 between.

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It will be so easy now to make buttonholes where they should go. I love your blog, the projects and you have such a nice way to explain things that makes it all easy to understand. You're very talented and I absolutely love your clothing and other designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tip! I usually end up using a clear quilting ruler, but obviously that doesn't work so well for curved edges. =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh smart lady! Gonna go ahead and pin this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. And now to actually do all those button holes I have been avoiding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now why didn't I think of that...thanx so much for the brilliant tip....I will use it often

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, GREAT tip! So easy! I really hate having to measure and chalk all those lines for buttons. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple yet so perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a brilliant tip! No more wonky buttonholes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever. I've got to do a bunch of buttonholes soon. Just need to hunt out that masking tape ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. All you need to do is mark your buttonholes off your pattern onto a tearaway stabilizer. pin to piece, sew buttonholes. carefully tear off buttonholes. flip to opposite side to place buttons. Works great. done it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. I wish I could have thought of this, after the 100's of buttonholes I have put in over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. excellent notion will give it a whirl, my buttonholes always let me down thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea! Thanks for the idea. Buttonholes always scare me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really this is a great idea. I will surly do this for my son.
    Wholesale Curved Tip Scissors

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always hate having to mark exactly where to sew them, and even then lots of times the beginning and ends aren't lined up.learn more

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts