DIY Rustic Shelves

12:28 PM

Our summer has been busy!
My husband had a few weeks off before he starts his new job and we had so much fun as a family.

We went camping and it was raining so we tied a tarp to make a canopy over our camp.
I was surprised I could climb this huge tree.

My husband and I also went on a cruise!
We've been saving for a few years to celebrate his being done will all his school and training and it was amazing.
Thanks to my mom who watched our kids, we were able to be together for an entire week alone.

So we're home and the summer is winding down with RJ starting kindergarten in two weeks.
That is crazy.  
So I'm hoping to blog some of the projects I've made.
Some things were made in May and just haven't been photographed.
______________________________________________________________________
So for this first one.
Really easy, affordable and a project you can do by yourself without a husband.
We moved and are living in a rental.
It's weird because it's formally a duplex and one wall that formerly divided two kitchens connects both units to make one home.
So I have two ovens and dishwashers which is weird, but really nice to have.
We also have two master bedrooms, so we decided to put all the kids together in the other monster room, which gave me my own sewing room!

I found I loved my old floating shelves I made in our old house and it was so convenient for sewing supplies.
So I just made some quick, easy shelves here.

-2x8 boards 8' long
-4 metal 8x12 shelf brackets
-Minwax classic gray wood stain
-3" screws

1. Sand and stain wood boards.
2. Find studs in your wall to know how to space brackets.
3.  Measure how tall you want shelves and screw brackets into wall making sure they go in studs.
4. Screw wood boards to brackets.

I like the rustic vibe of the wood, then the industrial metal brackets to go with it.
The gray makes it feel a little more modern to me as well.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. How fun to be able to go on a trip with just your husband for a week! I'm so glad you got to have a sewing room in your rental. Kinda crazy that it used to be a duplex, but I think I would like the two dishwashers too. Then my 15 month old could play with the door of one while I load/unload the other. :) Those shelves look great that you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that wee one Ellie there for moral support for Mommy while she climbs the big tree?? That is so precious. Is RJs kindergarten closeby or will he get to ride he school bus?? I am so glad for you and your hsb's "newlywed-type" cruise for a nice transition between the crazy work situation while you held down the fort and hsb was going thru the grueling hrs of becoming an MD. and the time for getting used to getting used to the newness of a medical practice. YAAA for both of you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we live close enough he will ride his bike as long as weather is nice (I'll be with him obviously) but no bus. I think that would be hard to send them on the bus, but I have to take him so I'll at least know he got there each day. It was so nice to have a vacation with just my husband!

      Delete
  3. Look at you up that tree! Are you part squirrel? Cool shelves, simple but great style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these shelves! The combo of wood and metal is one of my faves, kind of a rustic industrial look? I don't know what I'm talking about, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'm talking about either, but it sounds good to me!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your sewing table did you make it our buy it? I need one that size for my sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. The shelves look great and love all the accessories on them. Great job!
    learn about christmas gift baskets best deals

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts