Baby Dress: Scrunched

12:31 AM

I've been trying to make a few dresses for this little baby girl.  My due date is 2 weeks from today, and so far she has mainly boy clothes to wear.
So around the house it doesn't matter, but I thought a knit dress would be nice for when Spring eventually makes it's appearance, which seems far away with snow falling outside my window right now.

So the breakdown of this little dress.
First off, I got this floral print knit from fabric.com.
The mustard trim, arms, and waist are just a cotton blend.  I made the bias tape myself.  Dana has a tutorial here for that.

So to make this dress, I used my baby sleep sack pattern for the bodice.  I did take 1/2" off all the sides to make it smaller.
Obviously the sleeves are shorter also.
I just added the skirt, it's 8" long, just 2 rectangles.
The fun part was the shirring.
You just sew parallel rows with elastic thread in your bobbin.  It's pretty easy, just a pain that you have to wind the elastic thread on your bobbin by hand.  I sewed my rows 1/4" apart.


I also sewed a few rows on the end of the sleeves.

The scrunched band ended up being lower than I had planned, so it will be more on her waist rather than empire like I had thought.  So we'll see how it works.  Looking at the tiny scrunched waist on the dress doesn't really seem to fit the proportions of a baby.  I guess if she's a total chubbo it might be uncomfortable on her tummy, but hopefully it will fit this spring/ summer.

So just an idea if you printed off my sleeper sack pattern to make something other than pajamas with the crossed front bodice.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. She will look so cute in that dress, can't wait to see a piccie of her modelling it. T x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 weeks??? Yippee!! Do you need any blog help when you have her?? Let me know if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I also love Rae's bitty baby dress you could try that if you need more girly stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is fabulous! It's my favorite color combination right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this tutorial, and your pattern for a sleep sack! I have a friend who is expecting a baby girl in the next month or so and I plan on making some for her.

    I linked to your tutorial and pattern on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-baby-sleep-sack-or-spring-scrunched-baby-dress/2011/03/10/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts