Week 1: Plaid Pizzazz

4:00 AM

This week Project Run and Play starts!
If you have a second you should click over there and vote for your favorite look and hopefully you just happen to like mine the best!
Plaid Pizzazz
This first week's outfit is modeled by my cute little neighbor.

This first challenge was to make your own variation using the Junebug Dress sewing pattern from  Craftiness Is Not Optional.  

I chose to sew separates rather than a dress.  
Jacket and a knit bubble skirt.

So first, the jacket.
I wanted to keep the double breasted button closure and the trapezoid shape from the original pattern.  But I obviously lengthened it, changed the neckline adding the hood, and added long sleeves without the gathered shoulder.
I chose a gray plaid and cut the jacket on grain, except for the front trapezoid piece which was cut on the bias so the plaid is on the diagonal to add some variety and visual interest.
 The hood and jacket are lined in white.

The right side of buttons are just decorative, and the left side are functioning buttons to close the jacket.



The skirt is a simple bubble skirt with an elastic waist, but I always have to add pockets to skirts or dresses if I can, and I chose to have welt pockets for this skirt.

The welt pockets have really thick cuffs, 1" tall and have the cuff portion from the plaid, once again cut on the bias.

When sewing clothing for kids, I always hope they will look cute, but also be comfortable...which may be more important in the long run.


To style the outfit, I bought the tights and hat, and actually spray painted a pair of rain boots that were getting too snug for my son.  The green is Krylon Ivy Leaf.


This little girl did so great letting me take her pictures in the cold weather.
So her payment was the outfit, balloons, and matching Jelly Bellies!

Thanks to anyone who votes for my outfit. 
 There's a particular challenge coming up that I am so excited about--probably one of my favorite things I've EVER sewn.
My goal is to just hang in there to get to my favorite challenge!

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. Very cute. I love the colours you chose too.

    Your little neighbour is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creation is so cute and the model is soo adorable! Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Jessica, I will be rooting for you. You're definitely one of favourite bloggers. Kathryn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, that is adorable!

    ANd I've been meaning to tell you that there's a billboard here in Kirksville near Walmart that says, "Don't Run With Scissors!" and it makes me think of you every time! Sadly the first time I read it I thought, "Jessica has a billboard???" But then I realized what it said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW WOW WOW!!! Even that's not enough. This is such the cutest outfit! I adore that top, the fabric and colours are so fantastic and the pictures are just gorgeous! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, that jacket is stunning! I want one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ridiculously cute. I am totally in love with this outfit. fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, it's SO cute! That coat looks so cozy, I want to snuggle up in it! Love the bubble skirt with pockets, too. Great job and good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the outfit, love the presentation. You did a great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am LOVING this jacket! It is adorable and sassy! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a very wearable jacket ! well done !
    spray painting a pair of rain boots !?! how fun is that !?! (I like it when people share those great ideas/details)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica~ I love this jacket! What a great remix and your color choices are rad :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That outfit is so cute! I love the coat you made for Rhett too. I cant believe you made that without a pattern! It looks so so awesome, I'm jealous. You did an awesome job! I'm going to need your help with mine sweater coat (if I ever get to it) I stink at altering patters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the picture of her leg crossed over. You did a great job jess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic remix, Jessica! I adore the colors and that jacket idea! The picture of her running with the balloons behind her just makes me smile really big - she must have had so much fun!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you win. And I believe yours is truly the cutest outfit. And the little girl in the outfit is just as cute

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to the voting link. Each outfit was so cute and unique. I chose yours though. I hope to learn to sew other than quilts someday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on a super outfit. I presume from all of the entries yours will be the one getting the most milage out of your work as it is tree-climbable and stylish at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. VOTED!!

    Here's hoping you Win!!
    All the little dresses were cute, but not only was your's cute but child practical! Love it...something i would dress my kids in (if they were still little). i love your choice of colours!!!! and of course....as with any female...she makes the outfit come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing, you are so talented. I can't wait to see what else you create. You definitely got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this!!!! The coat, the skirt with pockets, and the use of my favorite shade of green....it's all AWESOME!!!!
    liZ
    ps---Um, just noticed the Madsen on your sidebar...I'd love one to!
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO so cute! I love the plaid and your cute color combo. Well done!
    Lucky neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love your outfit=i voted for you=way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! The coordinating balloons, boots and jellybeans are great. The photos are great! This makes me think it would even work, with the right fabric, for a little boy jacket. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Popping over from PR&P to say that I love your look this week! I would love to have that jacket for my three-year-old. Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So beautiful! Absolutely adorable outfit (love the grey and green color choice!) and the styling is to perfect! Would love to buy the pdf if you make one available!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Not sure I've voted in this series in the past but I love your version so I just had to participate. Love the pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that jacket! I would love to wear that jacket, but in a grown up size of course! You did a great job! What a cutie that little girl is, and lucky her to get to keep the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your creations are amazing...just discovered your blog and have been reading backwards!!! I LOVE this jacket...I think it could suit a little boy too...Can't wait to see what else you make.
    Best wishes
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your creations are amazing...just discovered your blog and have been reading backwards!!! I LOVE this jacket...I think it could suit a little boy too...Can't wait to see what else you make.
    Best wishes
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just commented, but back again!!!! Can/will you make a pattern for this jacket....I REALLY want to try making a version, but don't have the skills to modify patterns like you!!!!
    PLEASE,PLEASE,PRETTY PLEASE.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts