Week 4: Squadron Bomber Jacket

4:00 AM

I have been so grateful to make it this far, (further than I ever have in other competitions) to week 4 of Season 3 in Project Run and Play.  
So thanks for anyone who voted for the Lace Princess Grace look last week and hopefully you will like my
 Squadron Bomber Jacket.
It's a military inspired, asymmetrical, pocket filled, high-collared and flannel lined jacket.

I styled the look with gray carpenter jeans, army snow boots, and RJ's monster hat he designed last winter with me.
This hat is his favorite and always gets smiles when he wears it in public.
Hat details, pictures, and original post here:


My son was the model again and my husband reminded me of this WWII tank parked in front of the National Guard right by our house.

 Jacket Construction:
The style is basically a double breasted coat, having the under-layer cross over past the center line, and the top layer passing across, but in this case the asymmetry of the top side of the coat extends up to the shoulder seam and slopes down to the center line.  This coat closes with Anorak snaps, which were large and slate in color which was perfect for my green/ gray look.
The main pockets are the waist welt pockets.  They are lined with the green fleece and are the perfect position to jam those hands in there.

The collar is a thick standing piece that tapers on the underside.  It covers the entire neck and can act as a scarf/ lower face shield.

To design it laying right, there's a break where the coat front meets the shoulder, which allows the rest of the collar to wrap around the neck.

Another favorite element are those shallow chest pockets.
I found these gray taped metallic 5" "fashion zippers" at JoAnns.  The exposed zipper trend seemed fun and masculine for these pockets.  The pockets are lined with flannel.  I took photos for a tutorial of these exposed zippers, the technique I used is similar to sewing welt pockets.
I have a tutorial planned for these exposed zipper pockets hopefully available in the next few days!

I would love to have made this with a nice wool.  But it's itchy, scratchy, expensive and dry clean only.  So I stuck with the sweatshirt fleece, as I did with my husband's dress coat I made him for Christmas.  
The whole jacket is fully lined with black buffalo plaid flannel.
To me the lining is what makes a big difference in coats being homemade looking or polished.  I've made things unlined in the past, which works, but it definitely takes your garment up a notch if it's lined in my opinion.


The layer of sweatshirt fleece and flannel makes this a pretty warm coat.  Not a puffy parka, but a good transition coat for when it's too chilly for a hoodie but not quite cold enough for the huge puffer snow coat.

RJ really wanted to get up to get a closer look at the gun, and once I put him up there he doesn't look so sure. 

You can also wear the collar down and open if it's too much up at your face, or if you just want to look cool like I did in 1st grade only wearing one backpack strap.

We interrupt this photo shoot for a roll down the hill.

This ended up being my favorite shot, he tucked himself into the wheels, and you can get a good view of the monster hat.


You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. love love the jacket. I'm totally a sucker for all things military inspired. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful construction! That jacket looks great. I want to make one in my size. When will your pattern be for sale? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grey and green plus all those details = awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica! So cute!

    Just a suggestion: you should publish your posts for Project Run and Play after the voting opens. That way, I can go over there and vote for you right away, because I rarely remember to come back and vote after I'm done reading and the voting isn't open.

    Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved all of your entries, but this jacket is stellar!!! I really LOVE this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing a boy jacket in the midst of all the girly outerwear! Your bomber jacket is awesome and I voted for it right away. Had to pop over and tell you great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the jacket. It looks so cute with that buffalo plaid lining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing, FUN and functional project. You are so adorable! The collar undone and your reference to the one backpack strap reminded me also of rocking the one overall strap to be cool. Did you do that? I TOTALY did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the design & cut of this jacket is amazing !
    I so like that you don't need a scarf because the scarf part is built into the collar ~ genius !
    I'd like to sew one like this, sure hope you share the pattern !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a GREAT jacket. I LOVE the lining. Way to go Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this jacket! If you get a chance please post a tut or at least a pattern (I know, sometime in the future) I so want to make it for my little man :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! and I love that you did something fabulous for a boy! Will you pretty please share a tutorial or a pattern!?!?! I would LOVE to make this for my son!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica.....you.are.amazing. The details and craftsmanship in the jacket are so impressive! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really cute! And well crafted and so original! I love that you really designed something so different. And I love that you did boy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sewing skills amaze me. YOu are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome!! Great job. I really love stand up collars and that lining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. first time I have been to your site, I love your jacket for project run and play!!! wow! you should make a patteren to sell. I would be interested! I hope you win this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jess! Seriously! I love it. LOVE IT! It has so many great things about it, and the buffalo plaid lining might be my new favorite thing ever. So great, I love the pockets, the snaps, the welts, the zippers. Seriously! You need to make this into a pattern and sell this one. It's awesome. I'll stop, I'm embarassing myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that is so super cool! I love the color and love the zipper pockets, everything is just awesome! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the fun lining and pockets and the asymmetric closure and the fun color! I kind of want one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE it! And I totally voted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goodness your sewing skills are incredible. It runs in your family I am guessing. The jacket is Da Bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This jacket and your cute model are amazing, Jessica. He must have had so much fun doing that photo shoot! Love all the pockets, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love love love this jacket!! I voted for you this week!! The zippers are so fun and the asymmetrical button up is awesome. He looks like he loves it, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great! Love the bright green/ black and white flannel combo! Did you notice that the track on the tank kind of looks like faces with their mouths hanging open? So when I look at the last pic it looks like RJ plus a bunch of metal faces :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just voted for your design on project run & play. I love this coat! It is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh you Really need to make this your next pattern! I love it so much and its so different than what's out there. Not to mention that there's a void of good booys patterns out there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so cool! Seriously loving this look on a boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Im visiting from Made by Dana. This jacket is beautiful!! I dont often buy patterns but would buy this one if you made a pattern for it! I want to make one for my 3 month old, 2 year old, and for myself! I will be checking back for a pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts