Farm Table and Bench

8:55 AM


About a year ago, our mom built a beautiful giant 4' x 8' dining table and I wanted one for our new house. Our dining area isn't quite as large as the space at our mom's house, so my table is 3.5' x 6' with a matching farm-style bench. This table was my very first building experience. Our mom planned everything out, then stood by my side while she showed me how to use a drill, a kreg jig, and a pad sander. 

She drove the four hour trip to my house and she set aside two days for us to complete the project. We had just moved into our new house, so things were still a total wreck and I had been sick for two weeks. It was the type of sickness that doesn't bother you too much in the daytime, but at night you cough so much you can't breathe. So basically, I wasn't getting enough rest, and with a little baby to top things off, my head was about to fall off. Our mom's endurance is astounding and I was doing my best to keep up with her and not let her just build a dining table for me. 

Well, we got the whole thing put together without too much trouble, until we had to attach the pre-carved finishing strips. The table was put together and sitting upright on the back porch (which is wooden). I was sitting cross-legged on the porch with the baby sitting in my lap, pounding in finish nails and sliding along to each section that needed to be nailed. When the job was about half-way done, I slid over to a new section and got a 3 inch splinter stabbed in my ass. It did hurt, but if you saw my reaction you probably would have thought someone just shot my kneecap off. I started bawling hysterically, I think mostly because I was just completely exhausted and stressed and sick and that splinter just sent me over the edge and I lost it. So, like always, mama comes to the rescue. She removed the splinter, took the baby, and sent me to bed. I collapsed and slept like I was in a coma for four hours. When I woke up Herschel (our brother) had finished attaching the finishing strip for me and mama had made dinner. I would never say I love the hard days, but I love realizing how amazing and helpful my family is.


After I felt well enough I stained the table. I used Minwax Jacobean stain. My favorite details are the carved edge and the gorgeous wood grain. I just think it's so beautiful. Now, all I need to do is plan out four chairs and some suitable dining linens! (and paint the walls, because I don't like that green color that the house came with).

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Your mom and brother both sound like gems! Your table turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're never too old to be taken care of by our moms! love this table, the carving is beautiful! my dad always enjoyed woodworking and my grandfather was a carpenter. wish i had their tools, i'd love to make my own wood furniture pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew the story about the splinter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how that turned out! Thanks for sharing it with us. What a story to tell about finishing up this story! Being sick, building, and having a baby on top of it all is so not fun. Thank goodness for family huh!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful talented family you are part of. thank you for such a heartwarming story. great note for the end of 13 and the fresh new 14. Gods richest blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the carved edge and the wood grain too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That table is gorgeous! Your fam is amazing! Love Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! A 3" butt splinter?! That might have sent me over the edge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely table! I think the story of your caring family adds even more to its beauty. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful table and good family memories served up with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts