Gifts: Boys Car Seat Blanket and Nic Cage Tees

1:21 PM

Here's a few gifts I made recently for family.

The first was a car seat blanket.
It was the first one I've made for a little guy.
Both sides are flannel and the back was pieced charcoal and blue flannel strips 6" wide.
I had to piece the edges with blue on the curves.

The opposite side is a gray, lime, blue and white dot print.

These are quick, functional baby blankets if you have baby showers to attend.  
Babies born in the winter could always use a blanket in the car seat!



My other gifts are for my brothers--tee shirts I hope they will find humorous.  
We have weird humor in our family.
These shirts are a stab at Nicholas Cage in Wickerman.  
I've never seen the film, but I have watched the bee scene many times and it's pretty hilarious.


If you have a minute you may enjoy Conan's sketch on Nic Cage movies being the new warning for The US Homeland Security Department:

If you made it through the video, the image of Nic Cage in the bee cage may make more sense.
"MY EYES!"

These shirts were plain solid tees I bought.
I drew everything with tailor chalk, which you can kind of still see.
Using the free motion presser foot, I "drew" the text and bee cage head.
I put my feed dogs down and reinforce the stretch knit with stitch and tear Pellon stabilizer.  It gives the tee shirt something to keep it from stretching weird as you sew.

The sewing doesn't look perfect obviously, but I wasn't about to try to use fabric paint for this.
The head is with white thread and the cage is the same gold thread as the text.

I made a black and gray shirt for each of my brothers.  I'm giving them as birthday gifts: my younger brother Herschel  turns 22 next month and my older brother had a birthday in March, so it's a little late.



I actually like a lot of Nicholas Cage movies, but I can't help but enjoy an overacted weird bee scene I guess.


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Thanks for the clip...I laughed out loud. I may have to come up with a movie inspired t shirt for my brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahah I LOVE HIM!!! Still one of my favorites despite all the horrible movies..love this shirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the car seat blanket. My mom actually bought one and I tried it in my car seat but the holes for the straps are way off and it is really HUGE! I was going to take it and try to take somewhat of a pattern off of it. I cant wait to try your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much! I definitely cackled hardcore when I saw this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts