Basket Liners

10:20 AM

Don't forget to link up your crafty project at Country Chic Cottage by Wednesday to enter the One Month To Win It competition for March!
__________________________________________________________________


I found this basket for $1.50 at the thrift store.  It was sturdy, but the fabric was used and gross looking.

So I just sewed a new fabric basket liner, and it took less than 15 minutes.

Making Basket Liners
1. Cut up old liner to use as pattern
You could also measure your basket to create pieces if you don't have or want to cut up the old liner.  Just remember to add seam allowances.


2. Use old pieces as pattern to cut out fabric.
You want to add seam allowances to your new pieces--1/4 to 1/2" or so.
**I didn't have enough dot fabric, so had to add that red middle stripe.

3. Sew pieces together.
Starting at one side of square end piece, sew down the side, across the bottom, then up the other side.
Repeat on opposite end. 
Then you'll have the rectangular box shape.

4. Hem top edge
I serged around the top, but you could always zigzag.  Then I just folded it down 1/4" once and top-stitched the hem.

Just plop it in your basket and fold the top edge down and you're finished!
This little guy is going in the changing table to hold diapers.

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. Excellent Job! I think the red panel makes it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Wish I sewed! I want to see the cute room you put that in! :) - Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could always glue it with either the tape stuff you have to iron on or fabric glue just make sure its washable if you ever want to launder it

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial! Thank you!

    www.youngnester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. Very cute. Can you tell us where you got the red dot fabric? Sooo pretty! Thanks, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new liner! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-new-basket-liner/2011/02/15/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a new liner and then also made a "cushion" to fit inside. Used the same two fabrics so the cushion was reversable. Just filled the cushion with 1/2 inch padding. Then I filled the basket with sewing kit for my daughter's birthday! Nancy
    http://craftandactivities4elderly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I've been meaning to make a new liner for our tv remove basket and this tutorial will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I've been meaning to make a new liner for our tv remove basket and this tutorial will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, your basket looks much nicer after it's update!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is great, I own lots of Longaberger baskets that need new liners, I will try making some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have several baskets in need of new liners, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do like this step by step information. Can get the job done without all the mistakes of figuring my own. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, great tutorial! My sister sent this link to me as she and I both enjoy a bit of sewing on the side :)

    Looks lovely in red too.

    www.clickandcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, I found your website by way of Google at the same time as looking for a comparable topic, your website came up, it appears good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Logitech Touch Lapdesk N600 with Retractable Multi-Touch Touchpad (939-000356)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jessica,

    That's so cute! Thanks for sharing tutorial. I love your very well organized blog, I'm your follower now :).
    Have a look at my blog I'll be glad.

    Hugs from Portugal
    Ana Love Craft.

    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to your pics I actually figured this out to line 4 baskets I made from cardboard boxes! I couldnt wrap my head around it until I saw your pieces laid out!!Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, what is the width top and bottom of the end pieces? They flair out but not sure how to proportion the lengths....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just picked up a huge "moses" basket that I want to store yarn in but I want the yarn more protected from dust and such, so I'm going to take this tutorial and adapt it into a drawstring liner. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun basket liner! Love it. I was wondering if you could help me out with a basket liner project. I need to make 3 liners for 3 baskets shaped like 1/4 of a pie each. Any ideas how I could go about that?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun basket liner! Love it. I have a basket liner dilemma and wondered if you could help. I need to make 3 liners. Each one for baskets shaped like 1/4 of a pie -- so a 90 degree corner and then round. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts