Broken!

3:05 PM

It seems like everything is breaking.  Our computer is better, but my sewing machine had to go to the repair shop today, which stinks because I'm in the middle of two projects I could have finished last night before it broke.  Then the kids have been sick...still!  Last week it was just colds, but then my 3 year old has some GI bug vomiting and diarrhea for days, which means even more laundry!

Anyway, I am excited about this antique dresser I got for free.  My husband's oldest brother was cleaning out his house and had a truck of things to go to the thrift store and I snagged this baby.  It's super old and needs a lot of reinforcing, but I'm really excited to get working on this since any sewing is out the window for a few days or more.  I just wish our weather would warm up to make things easier.

I've decided to actually sand and re-stain the dresser.  It's always easier to just paint it, but it's so old I wanted to keep the antique feel.  I also wish I had the skeleton keys to lock the two top drawers!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I love the dresser! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dresser, glad you're not going to paint it that would be a sin! Are old skeleton keys interchangable? We have two pieces one early 1900s and the other 1940s and the keys work in both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Sorry about the sickness, but it'll pass and then hopefully you're done for the season! I know how you feel about things breaking...at one point, just after our house turned 8 yrs old, like 6 things broke in a row: garage door, water heater, garbage disposal, doorbell (?!), some of the sprinkles pipes underground in the back yard, and our spring-loaded door in the laundry/garage. It was stinkin' annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great old dresser. Love the keyholes. There are different skeleton keys but it gives you something to look for. And it seems that everyone but me has luck finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dresser is beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished. Sorry about the rest of the bleh at your house. Bummer. Last fall I randomly stopped at an antique mall and found a whole box of skeleton keys. I just picked out my favorites, but I bet if you took a drawer with you to an antique mall you could find some to fit. I think I paid maybe $2 each for my keys. And they aren't totally uncommon, so you have a good chance of finding the right one! It would be a perfect way to spend a kid free hour. Believe me... kids (who walk) and antique malls very rarely go together...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good snag. I love the dresser. Hope the kids and your sewing machine is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love painted furniture but I am glad you aren't painting this one. It's a beautiful antique!

    I think we might be living parallel lives. The kids and I have been sick and my computer is broken also. My sewing machine hasn't broken but I half expect it to now! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this same exact dresser! Keyholes and all. Funny. It came from my husband's family and had been in their home for years. Good luck with the refinishing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts