Simple Blouse Variation: Contrasting Collar

9:28 AM



I like this blouse because it is a little bit tricky. It looks like a real collar, but it's not, it's just a facing made from a contrasting fabric.

To recreate this blouse, cut out the simple blouse pattern with a few adjustments: lengthen the sleeves 8"- 9" and raise the neckline 2"- 2 1/2". Next, cut out front and back facings following the method included in the pattern, with the front facing extended about 10". Apply fusible interfacing to both facing pieces. 


Next, mark a clear center line on the wrong side of the facing. Pin it to the front piece of the blouse with the right sides together. Stitch a scant 1/8" on both sides of the center line about 7" down. I do a double stitch to ensure security on the corners. (I like to do this step before I attach the front and back pieces, that way I don't have to fight two layers).


After the blouse has been put together, attach the rest of the facing. Clip the corners to a scant 1/8", clip the curve of the neckline, and slash down the center.


Turn the facing and press. I use my scissors to gently push the corners until they're nice and sharp. Depending on your choice of fabric, you may want to stay stitch the front facing to the blouse, with the stitching hiding underneath the collar.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Looks great! A little more dressy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look - thank you for the great tutorial!
    I'm going to make time to sew one of these asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty! I love how a simple change like this makes the whole top look quite different

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow morning that links to your tutorial: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-contrast-collar-for-a-simple-blouse/2014/01/24/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts