Christmas Tree Skirt

9:12 AM

I looked around for different ideas on a tree skirt, but ended up keeping things simple.
It's the craft for Ucreate's Create With Me for November and December.
U Create

A few things different from the tutorial:
-I just used this linen fabric, not a drop cloth.  It took about 1 1/2 yards.
-I sewed a square of velcro rather than ties at the "neck" to hold it around the tree trunk
-Rather than sewing bias tape, I just serged the raw edges of the slit in the back
-I didn't double fold the red edge, I didn't have enough for that, so I just serged the edge and left it in a single, unhemmed layer, which made it really easy.
I also didn't ruffle it much.  Mainly because I didn't have much to work with.  So to gather my long red strip, I put my stitch length up to 5.0 and increased the tension to 10, so it takes bigger bites of fabric, and kind of ruffles it slightly as you sew.  I didn't adjust it anymore, and just sewed it to my linen circle.
I did a squiggle stitch on the edge, not that anyone will notice when it's on the ground or anything, but fun to do something different.

I had thought of appliquing "O Tannenbaum" around the curve of the front, but decided it would be covered with gifts eventually anyway, and I liked the simplicity of the skirt under the busy tree.

So if you need a skirt, I think this took less than 30 minutes, and was less than $3.00!
Now I need to pin down what I'm doing for the stockings I need to make.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I don't have a tree skirt - I have used a sheet for 3 years. Sad. I think it's time I just make one. Hopefully this is a simple enough pattern for this very novice novice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tree and the slight ruffle on the skirt. Looks like "Better Homes".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, we love to hear from you!

Popular Posts